Become a DWC Team Leader and volunteer abroad for free!
Developing World Connections Team Leaders embody and communicate the spirit of service and our commitment to create positive and sustainable change in the world.
Each volunteer group is accompanied by a trained Team Leader, and we're always looking for amazing people to lead our volunteer teams. Many of our current Team Leaders are past participants; however, we do accept Team Leader applications that have not been past participants if they have strong leadership skills and travel experience. If selected, we will provide you with training materials and ongoing support and guidance from our Trip Coordinators.
Being a Team Leader is a volunteer position that demands a high level of responsibility, commitment, and time. But the rewards are well worth the effort!
TEAM LEADER BENEFITS:
- Love travelling but don't want to pay for it? Team Leader costs are completed covered, including flights.
- Build your project management and leadership skills, both of which look great on a resume.
- You will face unique challenges that help you gain new problem solving skills.
- You'll expand your recruitment skills and meet lots of new people.
- For students, this experience can assist with your career path and educational goals.
- The amazing feeling of knowing you've created meaningful experiences for your team members!
- Many Team Leaders find the experience gives them a new outlook on life and boosted self-confidence.
WHAT DOES A TEAM LEADER DO?
1. Recruitment and Advocacy: As an advocate and respresentative of Developing World Connections, the Team Leader actively promotes DWC and much of the work leading up to the trip itself revovles around building a team. It is important that each team have a sufficient number of volunteers as participants cover the Team Leader's costs.
2. Organization and Planning: The Team Leader works with the Developing World Connections office to organize the team and to plan the logistics of the volunteer experience. This process can begin up to a year in advance and Team Leaders need to commit to this time pre-departure.
3. Facilitation: On the ground, the Team Leader is primarily responsible for ensuring the participants' safety while coordinating logistics and facilitating the group experience. All Developing World Connections Team Leaders are required to have Level 1 first aid training. The Team Leader works to ensure volunteers can participate in a meaningful way and serves as the liaison between the group, the Host Partner, and the community. The Team Leader works with the Developing World Connections office to organize the team and to plan the logistics of the volunteer experience, including administering a budget. This process can begin up to a year in advance and Team Leaders need to commit to this time pre-departure.
QUALITIES OF A SUCCESSFUL TEAM LEADER:
o Has a dynamic and confident personality
o Is outgoing and people-oriented
o Enjoys travel and adventure
o Ability to think analytically and logically
o Is able to perform under stressful/uncertain conditions
o Is goal oriented and disciplined
o Can remain calm and optimistic
o Is successful at recruiting and building teams
o Posseses strong organizational, communication, and
o Is enthusiastic about international development,
global solidarity, and service
o Is ideally a past DWC participant (not required)
HOW TO APPLY:
Step 1: Complete the Team Leader Application Form or the Student Team Leader Application Form. Student Team Leaders must be 19-29 years old but are not required to be a current post-secondary student.
Step 2: Write a "Letter of Interest" outlining why you want to be a Team Leader for Developing World Connections. This letter must include:
- Your leadership skills, style, and experience
- Your time availability and future commitments
- Your international experience as applicable to this position
- How you would successful build a team of volunteers
- How this position would fit within your personal short and long term goals
Step 3: Submit your completed Application Form, Letter of Interest, and Resume:
OPTION 1: Email to
OR directly to our Team Leader Coordinator, Jessica, at
OPTION 2: Fax to 250-851-9813
OPTION 3: Mail to Developing World Connections, RE: Student Team Leader Applications
220-141 Victoria Street, Kamloops, BC, Canada
Step 4: We will contact you about your appication within 2 to 3 weeks. If accepted, we'll send you the Team Leader training manual and begin the training process.
If you have any questions about the application process or would like to know more about what being a Team Leader entails, please feel free to contact us.